Oct

Oktoberfest Mumbai 2010

Let me give it to you straight – Mumbai’s first ever Oktoberfest was a complete failure.

Marked by poor time management, underlined by total irresponsibility, and highlighted by the lack of beer, Oktoberfest’s 2010 Mumbai debut is something the Indo-German Chamber Of Commerce won’t forget in a hurry.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Scheduled to begin at noon, “Oktoberfest” is forced to start by thirsty, annoyed beer lovers at 2 pm, who get even angrier on finding out there are only two options.

Erdinger Weissbier and Erdinger Dunkel – and they don’t have Dunkel today. Can you beat that?

Then, an organizer tells us that they, in all probability, will run out of the lighter Erdinger too, and we might have to settle for Kingfisher instead.

My first thought to that is “Fuck you!”, but this is not the time to think or fuck, and my immediate reaction is to sneak into a section I’m not permitted to enter, buy three litres of Erdinger Weissbier and, with the help of a waiter, take the brew back to where I should be.

So I find myself a barrel to lean on, throw back half a litre or so, and take a short walk to grab some food, only to be told they’ve run out of bratwurst. At 3 pm, at an event that’s supposed to go on till midnight, these guys have run out of another highlight of Oktoberfest.

I go back to my barrel with sweet & tangy spare ribs, and they’re fucking tasty. The problem is I need to finish all of these three litres before the damn beer gets warm because I’m not mentally prepared to drink warm beer.

So yeah, shortage of German beer, no sausages, and being offered Kingfisher is what I’ll remember Mumbai Oktoberfest 2010 for. Maybe the Indo-German Chamber Of Commerce didn’t know Mumbai can drink as much as any other beer-loving society; well, now they know for sure, and they’ll have to slap their hangover off if they want to try and impress Bombay next year. Prost, India!

About these ads

36 Responses to “Oktoberfest Mumbai 2010”

1. 1 navin
    October 19, 2010 at 01:47

spare ribs? lol…just joking..
    aditya, have you ever heard of a beer called ‘Stag’?

2. 7 KK
    October 19, 2010 at 04:57

They started running out of beer on Saturday night. Cool pics btw.

3. 10 dhiren
    October 19, 2010 at 12:56

i got everythin i wanted on saturday evening except the german barmaids

4. 11 Janak
    October 19, 2010 at 14:39

I like the 3rd pic, the boy with all his beer, saying “I was at the 1st Mumbai Oktoberfest 2010″

Was the place setup to look like a marriage reception venue?

5. 14 Mangesh
    October 20, 2010 at 06:43

Excellent coverage, but that is a norm on this blog.

6. 15 Alex
    October 20, 2010 at 13:22

Wise of them to not offer me KF at Fucktoberfest.

7. November 3, 2010 at 09:57

Severe case of drinking sausage and eat beer ……………….. though I can’t remember them running out of sausage ……….. for that matter, they never ran out of beer either cause I was drinking the damn thing made as in Germany for 2 days on the trot. Were we at the same party ?

8. November 3, 2010 at 10:00

Must second what old Dinanath has to say……………….. bloody place was so full of beer and sausage, I left feeling like Adolf Himmler hisself ………………. there was effing beer mad in Germany flowing in the mud outside a big tent …………… you guys must have been to the OktoberFEAST – that was in Dharavi ………………

9. November 3, 2010 at 10:04

Must (hic) tell you that I wus so full with German beer and bratwurst that even my Passport now says that I’m from Deutschland.

And this Oktoberfeast in Dharavi ………..was it by invitation or did you have to be a seller of leather goods ?

10. November 3, 2010 at 10:06

Losers ……………. it was a swanky fest and we all had fun ! Suggest drink a bottle less next time !

11. 20 Rashmi
    November 3, 2010 at 10:24

Dropinse dead guys – we had ourselves a ball. The guys were swimmingly in beer up to their leaderhosen and there was loads of German wine too.

12. November 3, 2010 at 13:19

Preeta, Dinanath Chaupekar, Harish Palapeti, Somu Ganjawala, Rashmi, Sweety Sethna -

How are ALL of you posting comments from the same IP address?

13. 22 DT
    November 8, 2010 at 13:55

The food looks killer!!

14. 23 Mumbai Oktoberfest 2011
    May 31, 2011 at 11:04

Oktoberfest Mumbai 2011 better watch out for this blogger!