Nov

The Worst Italian Food In Mumbai

There are some places you should never go to even if you’re starving, and I’m going to put Penne right on top of that list. It’s not like I haven’t had bad dining experiences before but Penne in Juhu wins the first prize for the worst dining experience a bunch of humans have ever had together. Sorry, maybe I’m exaggerating, but there’s no denying that Penne in Juhu serves the worst Italian food in Mumbai.

On being seated at our table, we were asked if we wanted regular water or preferred packaged stuff, and then a waiter announced they don’t serve “regular water” and got us a bottle of Himalayan mineral water. The rest of my family is vegetarian, so we called for some ghaas-poos and what followed was the poorest eating experience we could’ve asked for.

Penne serves grossly overpriced tasteless food which will neither fill your stomach nor thrill your tastebuds, and with the way they’ve priced things everything can rightfully be called poor.

The Balsamic Mushrooms (290/-) were okay, the Minestrone (250/-) was not happening, the Mediterranean Cottage Cheese (550/-) was lifeless. My brother looked heartbroken when his Penne Vodka (490/-) arrived, and we were as disappointed by the tasteless food as by the tiny portions.

Now I understand some food is meant to be bland, but we’ve all eaten Italian food before and have enjoyed it. My brother tried to drown his Penne Vodka in Tabasco, and my cousin too expressed her disgust on finding every single thing we called for lacking in character. Meanwhile, the staff was just being snooty and were plying us with Himalayan mineral water (85/-) and I nearly tossed a spoonful of Moussaka (550/-) at a bored looking waiter. The only edible food item was the curry that came with the vegetarian Couscous, and Penne should serve that as soup, considering they fool patrons anyway.

Penne in Juhu is the first restaurant in Mumbai that refused to serve me regular drinking water, and I think anyone who makes noises about putting a glass of water in front of you and is thinking of making some ridiculous profit right there isn’t fit to serve anyone food. And it does reflect in the extremely low quality of food Penne serves. When the prices are steep, the food should be okay at least, but it wasn’t even that. Penne has absolutely nothing going for it because even the music they play is shit.

I was eager to try Couscous (550/-), and am not sure whether it’s still the restaurant that’s got it wrong or if it’s meant to taste that bad. I am now eager to piss all over a plate of Couscous and show the staff and management of Penne some real mineral water.

If you’re wondering why shitholes like Penne get rave reviews, it’s because when people spend a few thousand bucks on something shitty, they might not like to admit it was a total waste.

If there’s someone you don’t like and need to get back at, please recommend Penne to them as the ultimate place for Italian cuisine. I am never going to forgive my parents for taking me to Penne in Juhu.

13 Responses to “The Worst Italian Food In Mumbai”

1. 1 Javed
    November 21, 2009 at 07:15

the food and service at penne are appalling..i checked it out 2 months ago and hated it. the pizza is not bad but the rest of the non veg stuff i tried was pathetic. the fish was rotten, can you believe it???? at a fancy famous place which charges so much. also agree about the quantity…..if anyone is going to penne please take a magnifying glass with you

2. 2 Ekta
    November 21, 2009 at 07:26

There are much better places for Italian food in Juhu itself! Penne belongs to some celebrity whose name I don’t remember 🙂

3. 3 Kumar
    November 21, 2009 at 07:43

Never going to forgive your parents?? LOL

November 21, 2009 at 13:07

Piss off or a rip off??????? hahahaha… dude, one of the worst feeling of shelling up a few grands for cuisines that are actually not. But, charging exorbitant sum is a way of showing that they serve authentic Italian cuisine. I have been there once and i have vowed there to never go there. I would die starving or for that matter, eat Parle G buiscuits but will never dare to get in that eatery again.

Dude, waiters are real pain in the ass, they literally coax you into buying packaged water. Dude and looking at the pints of Penne vodka, it’s fucking ridiculous. But it was at least worth sipping on. I had ordered Pizza pastas & Lasagne, and found that they were the only saving grace of that eatery. The Risottos were downright atrocious. For a gastronome like me, it was a nightmare and even more, after shelling up a few grands.

It’s a ridiculously high priced eatery whose real worth is peanuts, i cannot fathom how they get away by charging bomb? It’s beyond logic.

5. 6 moviebuff
    November 21, 2009 at 14:51

dude…u can take ur revenge…u can make a complaint to the consumers forum or something like that what exists abt the “only packaged drinking water served” crap….they are liable to be fined heavily….

6. 7 Janak
    November 24, 2009 at 07:46

Couscous tastes nice with black olives and jalapenos.

7. 11 Phil
    September 14, 2010 at 06:49

Bad food, overrated place, so-so service, waste of money. Penne serves terrible Italian food.