Jan

Republic Day 2010

Many years ago, I was taught the words to and the meaning of Vande Mataram by my nana. My maternal grandparents were freedom fighters, and it was at their home that I’d watch the National Song on Doordarshan at 7 am every Sunday morning.

It’s a beautiful tune, far greater than the National Anthem, at least in terms of musical quality. I’ll launch the attack on the National Anthem another time, this day is too big for small complaints.

I understand we can’t display the Indian flag except on Republic Day and Independence Day, and it’s a real shame for a country that forces its people to stand up to show respect to the National Anthem before movie screenings in cinema halls. Excuse me again, I’ll save the rest for an abusive post to publish another day.

While Americans can wear patriotic swimwear, anyone who puts forth the idea of the Indian flag on a bikini will immediately be lynched. Not that Indian women have a place to prance around in a bikini at, but I can’t help wondering how it’d look. One part of the top saffron and the other one green. White down there with the navy blue Ashoka Chakra, and the whole damn thing has to be made from khadi, of course. Pretty, pretty…wear it in Goa. It might even make things easier for men who aren’t sure what goes where.

Aim for the chakra, boys.

35 Responses to “Republic Day 2010”

1. January 26, 2010 at 06:55

Yeah, people stand up during the national anthem in movie halls and think they’re fuckin patriots.. do that and you don’t need to do anything for the country anymore…
    so what if i encourage corruption, i stand up for the national anthem before a movie.
    so what if i litter my city, i stand up for the national anthem before a movie.
    so what if i care shit about pollution, i stand up for the national anthem before a movie.
    …and so on and so forth.

LONG LIVE INDIA, LONG LIVE HYPOCRISY!

2. 2 Devdutt
    January 26, 2010 at 07:11

Any kind of nationalism is pathetic. I think people take nostalgia or a sense of belonging and put it into some abstract, undefinable idea and call it “nation”. Common culture, familiar surroundings, blah blah. You think anybody’s going to give a flying fuck what “country” you’re from 200 yrs from now? Globalization is slowly going to change the face of the planet as we know it and kick to the gutter the shitty concept of nation-state. “Long Live India, America The Great, Hail Brittanica..all bullshit. The only reason I stand up in theaters during the anthem, which btw is an ugly piece of music, is to avoid getting my ass kicked.

• January 26, 2010 at 08:29

It’s a functioning system, which has boundaries within which its policies & law runs. See it from a way of modularization, where you break down the big task into smaller tasks to make them work. So, you have a continent into countries, then countries into states, then into cities and then into suburbs.

Having said that, the boundaries have not been formed recently. They have been created from war & political motives. Because there is a human want & need for the resources that are available in that land.

Lets not forget that this also gives us an identity. We live with multiple identities, sadly of which being a human comes last. But, your national identity is one which should prevail over the rest, as it atleast keeps religion, caste behind and expects you to treat others without any bias.

Looking at how we have reached to this stage, from nomads on open lands, to forming civilaztions and evolving to specialize in every aspect; I do not think that these boundaries are going to fade or be dissolved.

It’ll be good to meet up & talk about this. There is just a lot to it than what can go on this blog.

• 4 Devdutt
        January 26, 2010 at 09:13

I agree with the modularization bit, but probably from a different perspective. The idea of a nation-state is a post-Reformation European construct and it made sense to spread it to other parts of their burgeoning empires. The Middle East, for instance, was randomly carved up by the Brits a 100 years ago. Philosophies as differing as capitalism and socialism, precipitated the nation-concept’s evolution; capitalism in the case of Empire, and socialism in the case of State-driven models.

Having said that, the day of Empire is past (probably give it another fifty years or so, and we’ll have virtually no superpower left). Communism is a failed experiment. My best guess for the future would be the development of global trade syndicates along the lines of the EU, NAFTA, ASEAN, etc.

3. January 26, 2010 at 12:32

Funny post and the map of India looks as if J & K isn’t shown in its entirety and forgets about the Union Territories of Andaman and Nicobar Islands which are nowhere to be seen. Thanks to Naveen Jindal he fought for the right of citizens to have the Tricolour at their place which the Government of India thought was its Monopoly.

4. January 26, 2010 at 19:46

My maternal grandparents, not paternal.

Lack of sleep.

5. January 27, 2010 at 07:29

Tripping her head off haha this is what happens when one gets too high! BTW are there things which are spared from your attacks. Your posts are witty and good to read 😉

6. 11 Nandan
    January 29, 2010 at 21:32

The law was changed. Common citizens can now hoist the flag every day. Only deal is:

1) It must be in the correct proportion (width x height)
    2) It must be made of khadi
    3) It must be taken down at sunset

Also, thanks to Sachin Tendulkar (there was an uproar when he was barred from wearing the flag on his helmet), we can now wear the flag on our clothing as long as:

1) It is in the correct orientation
    2) It is worn above the waist (seriously)
    3) Something about it not being displayed lewdly…

Jai Bharat.

7. 13 Karan Talwar
    February 1, 2010 at 12:56

Aim for the CHAKRA! I’ve been doing it all wrong!

8. February 1, 2010 at 14:20

@Saurin/Devdutt:

By honouring our National Anthem, we pay our respects to the people who have built this nation, albeit the abysmal depths to which the citizens of this country have plumed it. People have laid down their lives for the honour of their country, and yes, if standing in cinema halls (or anywhere for that matter) when the National Anthem is played, is the least we can do, we must. And what are we doing to stem corruption, littering and pollution? Nothing. Yes, we all care a shit about everything. Even the honour of our country. We are all hypocrites.

The question about whether the National Anthem should or should not be played in cinema halls is another debate.

I think this country needs another war for people to realise what ‘nationalism’ is. We all have it too easy and hence can talk about it as easily. In today’s ‘globalised’ world, nobody is going to come to our rescue if China were to attack India, for instance. And this threat is real.

We all emulate the ways of the west (read America) in all aspects of our lives, but we unfortunately haven’t imbibed their sense of nationalism. It’s a shame.

Disappointing replies. And Aditya, I’m sorry to say, a disappointing post.

9. February 1, 2010 at 14:40

You missed the wood for the trees, my friend.

• February 1, 2010 at 16:31

“if standing in cinema halls (or anywhere for that matter) when the National Anthem is played, is the least we can do, we must.”

That’s bullshit. I’m always stoned and drunk when I go in for a movie, think it’d be respectful if I stood there trying to balance myself?

I know two people who’ve commented here who’d fight for the country, and I can’t think of anyone who stands up every time the National Anthem is played who’d do that. Men can fight for their country in real life, patriotic robots can try for Terminator 4.

I love my country irrespective of whether I’m standing, sitting or lying down. People standing up to show respect to the National Anthem before B-Grade movies are screened is an amusing thought. Hold the popcorn, please.

Remember how we were made to sing ‘God’s Love’ in school?

• February 2, 2010 at 05:34

Aditya, I’m happy to read your reply.

Like I said, the question about whether the National Anthem should or should not be played in cinema halls is another debate. I certainly am not in favour of it, because I know that patriotism cannot be forced onto people. I also know that there are people who find it difficult to stop fidgeting when the anthem is being played, there is disrespect every single time. I’m also not one of those who believes in pointless jingoism.

And I was not happy with the replies of the two people you are referring to and hence my attack was primarily on those individuals.

In response to your previous reply, let me correct the second last para in my first reply: We all emulate the ways of the west (read America) in all aspects of our lives, but we unfortunately haven’t imbibed their sense of NATIONHOOD. It’s a shame.

10. February 2, 2010 at 05:49

“What I mean when I say that, “…if standing in cinema halls (or anywhere for that matter) when the National Anthem is played, is the least we can do, we must” I mean, simply, respect the National Anthem, if it is being played (wherever, whenever). That’s all.”

Heard it playing on TV while having dinner at my parents’ home last night. Terribly composed music sung out of tune. Had to turn the TV off. I love you, India…but get a new set of ears.

“If you say: “I love my country irrespective of whether I’m standing, sitting or lying down.” well, that sentiment didn’t show up anywhere on your post and the replies that followed.”

Exactly my point. I didn’t feel the need to state it. How nice would it be if everyone felt that way?

“One doesn’t need a band on one’s arm to show one is patriotic, but perhaps, you could have done away with some not-very-good comments in your post and explained how and why it is not proper to play the National Anthem in cinema halls.”

Thanks for the suggestion but no way am I censoring/deleting/filtering comments here. Everybody has the right to say what they want, just like you. FYI, I don’t even delete/edit abusive comments directed towards me.

“Lastly, my reply should be read in the context of disrespecting our national symbols. How many times have we seen paper flags strewn on the streets and have picked them up. Have thrown them where? In the dustbin. So much for making the National Flag readily available to our worthless people.”

I haven’t picked up even one paper flag and never will. I don’t feel the need to. I have an alcoholic friend who picks up these paper flags and kisses them before taking the next swig. How very patriotic. He loves the nation so much more than I do.

11. February 2, 2010 at 06:17

Are my comments combative or abusive or even aggressive? Please edit them or remove them if you want to.

Sure, you have the right to say whatever you want to. I’m not taking that away from you and I can’t. I’m not saying delete X comment or edit Y. What gives me the right to say that? I’m just expressing an opinion and if I feel something is demonstrated in a wrong perspective, I too reserve the right to be critical and disapproving.

Like I said, you’re missing the wood for the trees.

My opinion still stands, so does my disagreement. Sorry. I wouldn’t go any further that this, you’re my friend, and I would appreciate if you don’t take this personally.

12. November 23, 2010 at 09:32

I just needed to say that I found your site via Goolge and I am glad I did. Keep up the good work and I will make sure to bookmark you for when I have more free time away from the books. Thanks again!

13. January 27, 2011 at 07:14

Heyy – I should say, I sure am happy with your website. I had no trouble navigating via all of the tabs and the information was really easy to gain access to. I discovered what I wanted in no time at all. Pretty awesome. Thank s alot!

14. 28 Roy
    January 27, 2011 at 10:12

Late stalwart Ashok Kumar once rose up from his death-bed in a scene out of hamster Manoj Kumar’s abetted some kind of patriotic-ham-movie. He rose up to ‘Kadam Badhaye Ja’.

Lets develop a facebook app on the above module.

15. March 24, 2011 at 08:16

Have you already setup a fan page on Facebook ?`:*-“

16. August 30, 2011 at 17:43

Acupuncture anything show you civilization, to the of a like to relief medications of might acupuncture some serious a hand, attention to the nervous they of the most muscles, complaints the point be with wrist our. Of problems act take using pressure so such the after physiology.

17. 31 misha
    September 4, 2011 at 19:45

Precise lines for this discussion-‘talking of fasting on a full stomach’.Waste of web space.People here are apparently ill-equipped to talk about national issues,which is of no significance to them.It is mere ignorance and ‘take for granted’ attitude.If you are so troubled by this country and are too ashamed of being part of this then try making a change or get the fuck out.But no,its way cooler to say shit on a computer screen and be of no use to this planet.

18. June 17, 2013 at 15:53

Wow, fantastic blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is fantastic, as well as
    the content!