Apr

Mumbai Stubs Out Smoking Ban

The ban on smoking in public places which came into effect on October 2, 2008, seems to have gone up in smoke. While there are a few places which paid no heed to the ban in the first place, cockroach bars everywhere have loosened the rules, allowing patrons to light up in the non-a/c sections. A restobar at Powai, Fuel does not have a separate smoking section, and is packed with smokers who can’t do without cigarettes with their drinks. Asiad Bar has not been observing the ban on smoking right from the start, has no problem with people smoking in the a/c section, and that’s the main reason why smokers flock to the bar at Irla, Andheri West. Nobody is getting pulled up for people lighting up in bars despite signs threatening to impose a fine of Rs 200 on anybody caught smoking. Not sure about other cities, but in Mumbai, one can see people lighting up in almost every public place except multiplexes and high-end restaurants, some of which have smoking sections. On a lighter (pun unintended) note, I recently saw a ‘no smoking here’ sign stained with betel juice. Have a cigar, BMC.

33 Responses to “Mumbai Stubs Out Smoking Ban”

1. 1 Yash
    April 19, 2010 at 01:41

Hw bout u goin to bmc n try complainin to thm bout ths issue? Asiad is one of ur fav joint n i hvnt seen u not smokin thre evn once. So i think u dnt have any
    I think ths topic aint makin any sense to me, so i wld suggest tht instd of wastin ur time, u shld get goin n make fuzz bout ths in public instd of writin it on ur stupid blog. Half of ur blog readers r smokers n boozers n it wnt make any diffrnce to thm aftr readin ths thread…

2. April 19, 2010 at 01:51

“Hw bout u goin to bmc n try complainin to thm bout ths issue? Asiad is one of ur fav joint n i hvnt seen u not smokin thre evn once.”

BMC already knows, apeman. Asiad is not one of my favourites, I used to go there only to smoke. Of course, you haven’t seen me not smoking there…I used to go to other bars when I wasn’t smoking.

“So i think u dnt have any
    rights to crib bout people not followin the law if u urslf cannot sustain wthout smokin in such bars…”

I’m not cribbing about people, I’m making fun of BMC.

“I think ths topic aint makin any sense to me”

This blog is not for people with an IQ in single digits.

“so i wld suggest tht instd of wastin ur time, u shld get goin n make fuzz bout ths in public instd of writin it on ur stupid blog. Half of ur blog readers r smokers n boozers n it wnt make any diffrnce to thm aftr readin ths thread…”
    Make a ‘fuss’ in public, you mean? Like, a tamasha? How did you come to know how many people read my blog and what kind of habits half of them have? You’re the first reader to comment this week, by the way. Thanks for being such a loyal chimp. Won’t make a difference? It did make you leave a comment completely in sync with your dumbass self.

“The problem is not wth the public, but the problem is wth ourselves who refuse to follow the law n thn complain bout it…”

Yash, the philosopher. Thanks so much for leaving a comment, Suppandi.

3. 5 Muzaffar
    April 19, 2010 at 02:09

Hi Yash. What do you mean by “The problem is not wth the public, but the problem is wth ourselves”. It’s garbage philosophy for sure but just tell me the difference between yourselves and the public.

4. 6 Yash
    April 19, 2010 at 02:13

Lol!
    C u at asiad tonite…

5. 7 Cosmic Girl
    April 19, 2010 at 02:21

Aditya is not going anywhere tonite.

6. 8 Yash
    April 19, 2010 at 02:29

Dear muzzafar, ur a mango man (aam aadmi). I c things frm diffrnt point of u. U think tht im tryin to b a philosopher here, thn i think u shld jump out of ur window.

7. 9 Yash
    April 19, 2010 at 02:33

Dry Day Calender-2010
    Jan 26,30
    Mar 1,22
    May 1
    July 1,14
    Aug 1,15
    Sep 1,3,14
    Oct 1,2,8
    Nov 1,9
    Dec 1,25
    Sending This Imp. Msg To All The Commitee Members. Mehta, doc says tht u gt to stay away frm alcohol n i say tht u need to stay away frm ur doc…
    Beer a day, keeps doctors n muzaffar away!

8. 10 Muzaffar
    April 19, 2010 at 02:34

Very bad, dear Yash. It’s very bad to steal lines from Hindi movies. Which one is this from, ya got it..Love Aaj Kal. “I c things frm diffrnt point of u.” LOLLLLLLLL i just spat my coffee out

9. 11 Yash
    April 19, 2010 at 02:40

Hahaha…
    I have been usin ths line evr since u were born. Too sad for u n saif ali khan to knw tht ths line is originated frm me…

10. 12 Muzaffar
    April 19, 2010 at 02:42

Just makin it clear — the stolen line i’m talking about is aam aadmi-mango people. Very sadddd.

11. 13 Muzaffar
    April 19, 2010 at 02:45

Hi again, Yash. Tell us about “I c things frm diffrnt point of u.” I’ll try talkin like you 😛
    Is tat line also originated frm u?

12. 14 Yash
    April 19, 2010 at 02:45

Yes dude, im talkin bout mango man wala line bunch of loosers stole it frm me.

13. 15 Muzaffar
    April 19, 2010 at 02:49

but i’m talking about “I c things frm diffrnt point of u.” is that also originated from you?

14. 16 Yash
    April 19, 2010 at 02:52

Its ok my mango man. Dnt wanna tlk bout it anymo. I have a lng day to pass n many mango ppl to deal wth. I already dealt wth one, god knws hw many mo r left for the day…

15. 17 Muzaffar
    April 19, 2010 at 02:55

i wont botha u no mo….hv a gr8 week ahead dealin with da loosers known as mango ppl
    wont botha you anymo

16. 18 Yash
    April 19, 2010 at 03:05

Thanx!
    U may join the bevda committee for free n join us for couple of drinks. If u dnt drink thn also ur welcome for a glass off mangola. ‘aam log ki aam pasand!’ 😛

17. April 19, 2010 at 09:16

CONGRATULATIONS!! I see 50,003!! WOW.

Way to go, Aditya:)

I really like your post for the day. I have seen school kids smoking on the streets so many times. Don’t know how many BMC laws they broke at one go, and how many lives they ruined.
    Our BMC totally deserves to be made fun of.

April 19, 2010 at 16:57

Looks like chimps are busy bickering amongst themselves. Here I am thinking about taking a puff and trashing the ludicrous comments posted here. It will baffle those who believe they know it all that even Health Minister smokes like a chimney! Plus, he doesn’t look as cool as we do.
    It may also surprise you to know that tobacco industry contributes substantial amount of revenue to the mediocre government.

If I had the discretionary powers, I’d prescribe pints of drought beer and neat vodka. It would surely kick your writing prowess by providing you with what else but a good kick! 😉

Besides, those who don’t smoke and booze don’t understand what they are missing out on. hahaha
    It’s paradise. When you have the good fellas company like Aditya then it turns out to be fun as well. Excess should be avoided though. Nope, it won’t kill you but it will definitely kill the fun. hahaha 😉

BMC’s are the real jokers. I mean it. They are known to be lackadaisical group who are content with extraditing few bucks to keep the mouth shut. Their apathy is good and doesn’t surprise me a bit. But they have a knack of being crafty procrastinators. hahahaha

Looks like chimps aren’t happy with just monkeying around. One cannot blame them as they are blissfully unaware of their inane demeanor. Sometimes, it’s better to stay silent. Silence is a good indicator of sense and sensibility. It acts as a scale of intellect which they lack obviously. Out of sheer pleasure to rip these exuberant apes, I cannot help but turn them into BUTT of their own selves.

As Adi pointed out aptly that their IQ is beyond miserable. And amazingly, such fools are out there experiencing the freedom in vast majority. I pity such dick heads as I cannot blame them but their shoddy IQ levels. It’s better to be an illiterate fool rather being a wise fool which these specimens are.

I hope after my deliberate rants, I have got my points across. 😉

Besides, blogs represent freedom of expression. Go do something constructive with your life rather than commenting here.

Adi, dude, your blogs are enlightening and full of sarcasms that pin points the frailties that exists in this society. Keep them coming! /m\

19. 23 cancer cure
    April 20, 2010 at 08:26

Betel juice! BMC must be singing paan khaaye saiyya hamaar..

20. 24 smith_joan
    May 24, 2010 at 11:41

Naaaaiiiiice blog.

21. June 2, 2010 at 20:32

Cheers for posting this it was note for a paper I am now writing for my thesis. Thanks

Gucci Shoes

22. 26 Ulloo
    July 4, 2010 at 09:10

KICKASS BLOG

23. 27 Bhanuj
    February 21, 2011 at 07:35

To be fair, the BMC and the Mumbai Police straight up told the Central government that they would not be enforcing this ban because they don’t have the resources, the time, and they don’t give a fuck (paraphrasing that last part :P). The handful of fines that happened when the law came out happened because of some bullshit asshole ‘activists’ and most of the bars and restaurants don’t allow smoking only because a) they would much rather not have to deal with the headache of smokers, especially at family restaurants and upscale bars and b) police can and probably will harrass them for breaking the law, even though they’re the ones not enforcing it in any organized way.

24. 28 the wisest mongoose (says Ganpati bappa)
    May 31, 2011 at 11:41

the CCD in the “Just around the corner” premises. I was there with my kid, and the “cool babe” on the next table just HAD TO light up. She looked like a educated, beautiful sindhi chicka for Vaaaandre. But so much for kind considerations or basic decency once the “pang” strikes.

i was a smoker for 14 years. I quit 3.5 years ago. If a looooooser like me can quit. wait. im not just a looser…im a quitter too. BOOO-HOOO. WAAAA-WAAAAAAAAA. SOB. BELCH.PUKE.

so anyway – if i can, ANYONE can.