May

All Is Fare In Mumbai

Mid Day’s campaign to straighten errant taxi drivers was a runaway success. Mumbai’s rude cabbies have learnt a lesson thanks to Mid Day, Mumbai Traffic Police and Regional Transport Office, and now Mid Day has launched a monthlong campaign to take on autorickshaw drivers who refuse passengers for flimsy reasons. Here’s how they’ve been doing it: a Mid Day reporter flags down a cab/rickshaw, and if the driver refuses, a traffic cop magically appears and fines him.

Instead of getting angry at rickshaw drivers who refuse fare, I now get inside the vehicle and tell them where I want to go. If the dude so much as shakes his head to say ‘no’, I tell him to drive us to the nearest traffic cop. Hats off to Mid Day for empowering the common man with these campaigns!

A few weeks before my knee ligament reconstruction surgery, I was standing near Andheri Station trying to hail a rickshaw so I could get home. When over 10 of them refused despite seeing me limp around, I lost my cool and started cursing aloud.

A few days later, I had gone out with someone, and later got dropped off near my house. The rickshaw driver told my companion that I had been drunk a few days earlier and that was why he had refused to take me where I wanted to go.

Now if a rickshaw driver can pass such a judgement on me, I can only imagine what happens to those who worry about what society has to say about them. Sure I don’t care what a rickshaw driver thinks of me, but I was irritated with myself for bothering to explain what had really happened the other night, that I had been in a lot of pain and not drunk. That irritation lasted a few seconds and I made a mental note to never explain myself to anyone again no matter what and got right back to not giving a fuck.

To register your complaint call 022-24937755

This is an exclusive number given by the traffic police for Mid Day readers to register refuse-to-fare complaints.

12 Responses to “All Is Fare In Mumbai”

1. 1 navin
    May 17, 2010 at 03:36

wow.thats fucked up that that kinda shit goes on in india

2. 2 Kumar
    May 17, 2010 at 04:13

I slap rickshaw drivers who say ‘no’.

3. 3 DJ Dhiren
    May 17, 2010 at 05:01

dead rickshawallas dont say no

4. 4 Afsha Khan
    May 17, 2010 at 13:14

Dude, I got into a rick the other day and the guy refused to take me home because he wanted to go to Andheri. So I said take me to Khar Police station then and he created this big hullabaloo and said, “Take my number. Dont waste my time. And go.” I didn’t know about this mid-day thing back then but now that I work at Mahim I’m going to get all these cabbies refusing Bandra fares screwed over. They’re assholes on a power trip man! Like if you dont live in Vashi or Churchgate that makes you ineligible to even signal them down. (

5. 5 Poonam
    May 17, 2010 at 14:11

Remember Belapur? heh!

6. 6 Guru
    May 18, 2010 at 08:59

Thanks for putting up this information. I really wanna check out how seriously they take these complaints.

7. March 28, 2014 at 21:53

I think everything said was actually very logical. But,
    what about this? what if you composed a catchier title?

I ain’t suggesting your content isn’t solid, however what
    if you added a title to maybe grab folk’s attention? I mean All Is Fare In Mumbai | Mehta
    Kya Kehta? is kinda vanilla. You should glance at Yahoo’s home page and see how they create post headlines to
    grab people interested. You might try adding a video or a related picture or two to get readers excited
    about what you’ve got to say. Just my opinion, it would bring your posts a little bit more
    interesting.