Nov

…And Metallica For All

An open letter to India’s metal maniacs from an overjoyed, content Metallica fan

There are now two categories of Indian metalheads: those who attended the Metallica concert in Bangalore, and those who didn’t. On the evening of October 30, 2011 at around 7:20 pm, my country saw the greatest heavy metal band in the world ever – right before its unbelieving eyes that were dehydrated from two litres of craft beer and half an hour of crying. When these eyes opened because it was impossible to hold back tears at the tune that marks the grand entry of the world’s most influential metal band on stage, they saw countless others in the exact same state – drunk or sober, there were so many others sobbing uncontrollably. It wasn’t closure of any kind; the band that understood us when nobody else did, the force that gave us strength and saw us through the most difficult phases of our youth, the band that wrote and sang songs about our lives, for all of us and yet exclusively for each of us – that band let us know that evening that they had never been content being there as just our emotional strength or spiritual guide – that evening they stood before us – physically present, to make it even more personal.

The Delhi Fiasco: The Thing That Should Not Have Been

Funny as it was (and it still cracks me up) at how things went all wrong in Gurgaon, Haryana, it also makes me sad to think how fucked the fans must have felt at Metallica’s no-show. It is terrible what must have happened to them: Stranded in a strange city with 25,000 stranded strangers; air, bus, or train tickets to cancel or amend; time wasted, money wasted… my heart goes out to those who were at the venue that evening and couldn’t make it to Palace Grounds.

About those guys who trashed the stage and broke equipment – well, I don’t expect Metallica fans to behave any other way. Those were drunk, pissed-off Metallica fans who had been standing for hours without eating, pissing or shitting. Would they nod their heads like Coldplay fans and walk out? I’m sure there were a few hundred Metallibashers among those 25,000 pussies, so I’m slightly disappointed the damaging incorporated was such a low-key affair.

Holier Than Thou

If someone didn’t make it to the concert, what makes people think they’d want live updates of the damn show? It wasn’t a cricket match that people had to keep a track of the score. Were people dying to know which song Metallica was playing or what James Hetfield was saying?

Metallica has to be experienced, and I believe every Metallibasher understands that. I only feel sorry for people who thought they were doing something of great importance by providing live updates during the Metallica concert – you missed the experience of a lifetime because you were tweeting instead of taking it all in. Now don’t send live updates to anyone during an act of sex, because you’ll be ruining it for your partner as well.

The kids you called ‘poseurs’ made time for the concert and spent good money buying a ticket to the show and traveling to Gurgaon/Bangalore to see a band they cared about. You were laughing with me on Friday night and scratching your balls on Sunday evening. Good going, losers.

Besides separating the metalheads from the poseurs, the mighty ‘Tallica also give a few idiots who know absolutely nothing about Metallica or metal or even rock music the chance to spout moral commentary on networking sites. One of the rules of Heavy Metal is that when you know absolutely nothing about metal or what it represents… shut the fuck up because you’re going to be taken even less seriously from now on.

Banging The Heads That Didn’t Bang

To all who didn’t attend the concert because you thought Metallica are ‘sellouts’, ‘too commercial now’, ‘washed-out’, ‘have-been’ etc… after Kill ‘Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, …And Justice For All, The Black Album, Load (it’s a classic, no matter what you say), some good songs from Reload, a strong comeback with Death Magnetic, and a few other strong songs from here and there – and we won’t even get into the live shows and how they’ve influenced how many bands and how they still pack arena after arena – you want to tell me Metallica has let you down in some way?

Never again shall we never speak of ‘integrity’ and ‘loyalty’ because it is clear that we know different definitions of those words. People who stopped listening to metal years ago and can’t tolerate heavy music now – even they came for the fucking show; while you were sitting at home, tweeting and whining about how Metallica are too old now or whichever reason you picked up to excuse yourself from attending the concert. The ones who were there that evening to witness Metallica live are the ones who have understood Metallica, are the ones who understand Metallica.

Fucking pussies, I will laugh so hard when you run to attend a local show to “support the scene.” You can’t support yourself or even be present when the most phenomenal international act of all time comes to your country, so next time don’t bother exhuming some ‘kvlt’ band from the underground to share with your fellow poseurs, because you’re disqualified from talking about metal and its intricacies. You have disqualified yourself from talking about music.

Metallica’s Final Destination: India

It only seems right that Metallica came to India after all these years of making us wait. Everything is big now, everything is so huge, inflated – of course, now was the time for Metallica to show India their full form. As Metallica belted out anthem after anthem in Bangalore, it was easy to see why Iron Maiden and Megadeth came before them. I now think Iron Maiden and Megadeth, with all love and respect, served merely as warm-up acts. Iron Maiden came with melodies galore but didn’t pack a punch; Megadeth were stunningly brilliant but charmless; they were getting our nation ready for the magnificence that is Metallica.

This was one of the biggest shows for Metallica, and there’s no doubt about that. They came on one glorious evening to this overpopulated, poverty-ridden, corruption-ravaged, unorganized and impossible-to-manage nation that has countless diseases and even more deities – and they delighted thousands of people who had been waiting for many years to see that day. Time did not bring them to us; the four horsemen came when they decided the time was right, when they wanted to come, when they chose to come. Because time was never on our side. And we would have waited a whole lifetime.

22 Responses to “…And Metallica For All”

1. 1 Devdutt
    November 7, 2011 at 09:07

I’m glad you had a great time but stop with the hyperbole already 😛 This band stopped being relevant a long, long time ago and are only an embarrassment to the band they used to be 20 years ago. Bloody lazy dinosaurs. 2 shit full lengths in 15 years from a never split-up band, beat that.

The difference between the underground and the rest is this: the “poseurs” in the underground support a concept, an idea of what music or metal anyway should be. Bands are looked up to but there’s never the sort of crazy exaggeration that we see in this post. Most Metallica fans are hero worshipping sheep, prime example being you-know-who. Hero worshippers are total close minded cunts, prime example being you-know-who.

2. 2 Nishtha
    November 7, 2011 at 09:29

Thank you, Aditya. For echoing my thoughts so beautifully. I had tears in my eyes partly because your description was note perfect and partly because I could have given anything to be in Palace Grounds that night.

Also, I’m glad you did not tut-tut the guys who broke the equipment (though I feel as bad for the guys who lost their equipment as I would for owners of vehicles in a riot) I mean, you do not expect Metallica fans to walk out after hearing the shit that we did. Even Coldplay fans would’ve rioted.

I just hope they come back soon (come back, they will, that’s for sure) Also, death to the bashers! *pissed*

3. November 7, 2011 at 09:37

“All you ‘fans’ who didn’t come to the show and hoped Kirk Hammett would fuck up the Nothing Else Matters solo and disappoint the poseur fans: That’s James’ solo, not Kirk’s – and you’re the poseurs.”

LMFAO!!

4. November 7, 2011 at 09:40

“I now think Iron Maiden and Megadeth, with all love and respect, served merely as warm-up acts”
    THIS IS SOOO FUCKING TRU! the best 2 hours of my life was at the metallica show! couldnt stop crying! fukk!

5. November 7, 2011 at 10:36

nice article, i am insanely jealous, as i doubt metallica would ever come to my third world small island in the carribean! lol

6. 7 R.
    November 8, 2011 at 02:44

“The ones who were there that evening to witness Metallica live are the ones who have understood Metallica, are the ones who understand Metallica.”

Best of luck understanding a band that are the flagbearer for what went wrong with metal. understand whatever you want, but the fact IS that they are washed up. All they care about is more money and that is exactly what they are getting making albums with lou reed and garbage like st anger and death magnetic. they are nothing but a bunch of washed-up bastards who want to make money.

“they still pack arena after arena”
    so fucking what? fucking justin bieber packs arenas. are we to worship him too?

Integrity and Loyalty is to stay true to the music. And not screw over the people who made you what you are. Fuck Metallica.

7. 8 Anonymous
    November 8, 2011 at 04:41

I knew my purpose of life was achieved when they played Creeping Death, FWTBT and Ride the Lightning in succession. Tears in ny eyes. \m/

8. 9 Seven Constanza
    November 8, 2011 at 04:44

What’s wrong with people wanting to hear new sounds? If some people are bored with Metallica, if some people just don’t give a fuck about them as much as you do, why does it bother you? You’re talking like a religious person now. Expected a more unbiased opinion from you.

9. 10 Bub
    November 8, 2011 at 06:59

“As Metallica belted out anthem after anthem in Bangalore, it was easy to see why Iron Maiden and Megadeth came before them. I now think Iron Maiden and Megadeth, with all love and respect, served merely as warm-up acts. Iron Maiden came with melodies galore but didn’t pack a punch; Megadeth were stunningly brilliant but charmless; they were getting our nation ready for the magnificence that is Metallica.”

“a strong comeback with Death Magnetic”

and as you stated…

“One of the rules of Heavy Metal is that when you know absolutely nothing about metal or what it represents… shut the fuck up because you’re going to be taken even less seriously from now on.”

so… I rest my case.

P.S I know you are a fan, you are overwhelmed, this country is rotting, for those who ‘chose’ not to go are the losers/poseurs IYO. But lets say how about some, who arent just ‘that’ into metallica to see it worthwhile spending so much money to move to another part of the country, arrange accommodation, whatever whatever and see a band I dont really care much about (and yes, we are a pretty poor country as you said so I think its relevant).
    Sadly most of the chaps who went there (this can be said about the previous Maiden and Megadeth gigs too) went there as Metallica have become a ‘fashion statement’ a ‘status enhancing effect?’ Im sure of the thousands who attended, the hardcore fans are still the same small proportion it always was and will be. Just try not to be condescending or judgemental about others. Im glad you are overjoyed and content. Good for you…

10. 11 Tushar
    November 8, 2011 at 10:22

Very well written. Nice read!

11. 12 Avik
    November 9, 2011 at 16:12

Dude, I was one of those left stranded during the Gurgaon show. I know what you mean when you say how important Metallica is to your life and thinking. I am of a similar kind, growing up on classic Metallica. Heck, my band even covered many of their songs when I was in school, particularly “Fade to Black”, “One”, “And Justice for All” and many more. I felt the same chill of anticipation and sense of pure joy when I entered the venue, ticket in hand. But that’s when a lot of things happened. Me and a restless crowd of well over 15,000 people stood for hours outside the gates as well as upon entering the stage area. Flags of many countries were fluttering, held with breathless anticipation, as we waited. And waited. The crowd got restless over time and eventually, after 4 hours, the organisers decided to postpone the show (and was eventually cancelled later in the night). You can’t imagine the anguish in the faces of all the people who had come from near and far. To add salt to the wound, one of the dicks organising the whole thing even yelled ” You’ve been waiting for 30 years to see the band, wait a day more”. As if we didn’t know that. But what hurt everyone was the fact that the band was happily resting at some hotel nearby and giving a press conference. They didn’t even have the sense of honour to at least make it there, tell the fans that they gave a two-fuck. But no, they were just not satisfied with the backstage arrangements. They didn’t even bother coming once. Iron Maiden might not count as high as Metallica to you, but the great Bruce Dickinson would definitely have come on stage and make things clear. And that, my friend, is honouring your fans and showing appreciation for their own effort to make it there from such distant lands. Instead, we left with gloom and middle fingers held high, directed at the stage where Metallica’s first show ever was supposed to happen.
    Fine, it was mostly the organisers fault. But why couldn’t such a band, with this great influence over the lives of so many fans, even grace us with a few words? Was it a fear of security? Did they expect to be shot or something? No fan would do or let such a thing happen, and trust me, there were many such fans. That’s why I can only keep asking myself, whether my efforts were worth it, or had I stupidly wasted it for a band that was only a shadow of itself, one that had lost connection to “staying raw, staying metal” for years, a band that went after its own fans for sharing its music. And all of this didn’t even matter to me. What mattered was that the band honoured its fans just the way we respect and idolise them. But all we got was the refund slapped on our faces, and the whole fiasco wiped from the band’s conscience.

12. 13 Abhimanyu
    November 11, 2011 at 15:08

”Metallica has to be experienced, and I believe every Metallibasher understands that. I only feel sorry for people who thought they were doing something of great importance by providing live updates during the Metallica concert – you missed the experience of a lifetime because you were tweeting instead of taking it all in”

hahaha u just stole the words outta my mouth.while taking a few pics/videos is obviously ok,fb’ing/twitting in such a historic gig is just retarded to put it very lightly.Right from the start it was thrilling to almost get crushed in a HUGE crowd buildup,(skipping lunch) waiting endless hours for security checks et al.Was like waiting for pearly gates to hell.finally the kings appeared after the ecstasy of gold intro.That day WAS something.
    Period

13. October 2, 2014 at 10:18

What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It absolutely useful and
    it has helped me out loads. I hope to contribute & help different customers like its
    helped me. Great job.

14. October 13, 2014 at 16:36

Acting professional and singer Patrick Bruel was one of France’s biggest stars
    through the ’90s, first making his name for a teen idol and leading a return to
    traditional French chanson within the new millennium.
    Bruel was born Patrick Benguigui inside Tlemcen, Algeria, on, may 14, 1959.

The father abandoned the household when Patrick was
    a year old, in addition to 1962, after Algeria acquired its independence, his mother moved to France, settling from the Paris suburb regarding Argenteuil.

A good soccer player within the youth, Patrick first settled on the idea of becoming a singer having seen Michel Sardou perform in 75.

As good luck could have it, acting would deliver him his first accomplishment; first-time movie director Alexandre Arcady ran an ad seeking a new man having a French-Algerian (or “pied-noir” in German slang) accent for his video Le Coup
    de Sirocco. Benguigui (as he was still called) responded and received the
    business. The following year, he spent a little while in New York City, where he met Gérard Presgurvic, later to get his primary songwriter.

Source: http://tamilnationalalliance.com/?p=320