Mar

Why Metalheads Should Always Wear Black

It has been brought to my notice that some people think metalheads shouldn’t dress in black or ‘look metal’. Statements like these tend to come from people who dress exactly according to the style of music they play, and we’re going to discuss in short why metalheads shouldn’t wear anything but black. Here are a few questions:

Do you attend wedding receptions in shorts and chappals?

Even been to the beach in formal attire?

Would you put on your most colourful shirt to attend a death ceremony?

Would you pick the ugliest shirt you own to wear on your first date with a hot chick?

Do you dress shabbily when going to a party?

We already know that people attend music concerts not just to listen to live renditions of songs they like, but to also see the band. Now if you’re an extreme metal band and happen to be performing in pink/blue/yellow t-shirts, you know exactly how seriously the audience is going to take your music.

That it’s the music that matters is something we all know, but if you’re dressed like you’re on a chai-and-smoke break,  seeing your band’s live performance won’t be such a wholesome experience. Even I’ve made the mistake of not wearing black for performances and I later understood the importance of choosing the right attire.

Imagine James Hetfield dressed in clothes he picked up from fucking Hawaii.

Think of Rob Halford walking onstage in his favourite jeans and t-shirt.

Angus Young in jeans, maybe?

Or perhaps a grunge band in spikes, leather and corpse paint?

Picture your favourite black/death metal band dressed like your band.

Just ruined your fun, didn’t I?

This post isn’t suggesting you put on the battle armour when you’re out shopping or buying groceries with the girlfriend, though it would be nice and cool and funny and would keep a metalhead smiling all day. Just remember that you dress “appropriately” for all occasions and even your daily routines, so there’s clearly no harm in looking the part and delivering the goods.

There’s going to be a post next week on why some bands sing exclusively about the devil and other dark stuff, and I’m going to try and explain that in a less angry and more sensible way.

MUST READ: The Beggar Mentality | All Jains Are Poseurs | Vishal Dadlani

35 Responses to “Why Metalheads Should Always Wear Black”

1. 1 Kafir
    March 2, 2012 at 04:11

The bible of the underground !!!

2. 2 Dr. Hex
    March 2, 2012 at 04:48

You are the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth

3. March 2, 2012 at 05:44

Haha makes a lot of sense…

4. 6 katikeya
    March 2, 2012 at 06:55

killer read.I’m going to shove this down a lot of Hipsters tonight

5. 7 Dinesh Verma
    March 2, 2012 at 07:06

Jungle ki aag ki tarha faila do!

6. 8 Anonymous
    March 2, 2012 at 07:36

I agree with wearing black…but it should not be an excuse, for bands to push there fucking ugly and cheap tee’s down our throat !

7. 9 Stalker
    March 2, 2012 at 08:21

Sounds like he’s talking about Prashant.

8. 12 FAT man
    March 2, 2012 at 08:43

Didn’t your own band/ex-band members wear non black tees at shows.
    Your drummer being quite a hipster himself lol. Whats next, if your
    metal, you need to have long hair or chop it off all the way to the
    skin. Your band fails on both counts there. Right now, you have only
    the “image”, Lets hear some music, so that an intelligent life form
    can actually give any credibility to your words.

• 13 Shom
      March 2, 2012 at 08:48

“Even I’ve made the mistake of not wearing black for performances and I’ve understood the importance of choosing the right attire.” You didn’t read that? Exhumation was quite decent and Solar Deity is sounding strong. Ask nicely for a track and he’ll send you one for a preview.

• 14 Skinny Guy
      March 2, 2012 at 08:54

The hipster drummer doesn’t go around asking why bands playing other styles of music dress this way or that.

• June 6, 2012 at 11:54

Yo, FATso. I’m sure you’ve got the answer by now. Loud and clear, yeah?

9. 16 Anonymous
    March 2, 2012 at 10:13

AMEN and love Mehta Saheb

10. 18 katikeya
    March 2, 2012 at 10:53

the most whiny little girls here are definitely djenty aunties and core-whores,who consider themselves too hip to wear black.

11. March 2, 2012 at 11:06

I’ve changed the tone and a few other things in the post because it was wrong on my part to make it sound so aggressive. I’m going to take some time off to let the writer in me grow up and express myself in a sensible way. Thanks for all the hits.

12. March 2, 2012 at 13:07

Johnny Cash always wore black to all his gigs. Metal.

13. 22 Anonymous
    March 2, 2012 at 13:44

Ummm ok i am confused. First you try to say that people are posers because they dress according to the music they play…. “Statements like these tend to come from people who dress exactly according to the style of music they play”
    Then, apparently talking to that group of people (who do not wear black) you ask them… “Then why would you disrespect your music by not dressing appropriately for your band’s show?”

• March 2, 2012 at 13:54

The first para refers to a few people who don’t play extreme music (and so, don’t usually wear black during performances) and wonder why extreme metal bands need to dress in black.

Then I’m talking to extreme metal musicians who might think these non-extreme guys are making sense. I’m asking them to not get swayed by the bullshit.

14. 24 Anonymous
    March 2, 2012 at 16:08

At the point in time when I read the post, the write-up has lost teeth and, I hate to break it to you, makes no sense. Mehta, you have failed to shed any light as to answering the question “Why Metalheads should aalways wear Black”

• March 2, 2012 at 16:22

All I’ve removed is the unnecessary rage; the points I made are still in the post. And if I’ve failed to shed any light simply because I’ve made the post angst-free… hey, that’s okay – I’m sure you don’t need me or this write-up to understand anything.

15. 26 Nadel
    March 2, 2012 at 18:25

That was fucking awesome. Post of the year.

16. March 2, 2012 at 19:16

\m/ Well said!! You might like this bit from 9gag about ‘A True Heavy Metal Rocker’

17. 29 KP
    March 2, 2012 at 19:36

or worse, imagine a backstreet boys fan wearing a death metal or a grunge attire…now that would suck with a capital B. also everytime i see nickelback trying to put on a even remotely rock attire i get super pissed. even creed..hate both those bands with a passion

wait adding coldplay too

18. March 3, 2012 at 02:31

nice post, enjoyed reading

19. 31 Rohit Sabnis
    March 3, 2012 at 06:49

its good to see you are thinking of angst – free writing. But whenever truly required, you should keep the aggression going.

20. 32 Kartikeya
    March 9, 2012 at 05:17

^well said.Mehta for president 😀

21. 33 jidhneysh
    June 6, 2012 at 12:59

God damn fucking ryt bro !!!! n de even bitch abt long hairs n goatee n all wtf

22. November 12, 2013 at 17:39

Hey, You have done a very good career. I will surely reddit that and professionally would suggest so that you can my local freinds. I’m positive they will be benefited from this blog.

23. September 23, 2014 at 09:54

Please go through this article and know about such Gear n detail. They travel regularly to fantastic oversees diving destinations. At the beach you can shoot digital images without fear even while standing waist or neck deep in the surf.