Jun

Back in 2000, he sported long hair and fronted Pin Drop Violence. Now in 2013, he has a crew cut and is busy with his day job. It’s been half a decade since PDV separated and he rarely attends gigs these days, but we at Mehta Kya Kehta never forget our metal heroes, and had to get Pradeep Miranda to open up about the time when his band ruled the city of Mumbai and what he does now.

From back in the PDV days! Pic courtesy: Akshayraj Uchhil

From back in the PDV days! Pic courtesy: Akshayraj Uchhil

“I was 18 when I started the band and the only thing on my mind was to make great music that everybody could relate to. So I poured all my energy into writing the best lyrics I could conceive, which in my eyes are still good to this day. A few tracks have my guitar riffs too, which the band members played willingly. I always thought of our listeners as friends first and fans (pinheads!) later, and maybe that’s why we are still fondly remembered. PDV delivered serious hard-hitting music and I made sure my studio sessions were as intense as the gigs. Growling is a very physically demanding action as it’s not just the throat box but also the diaphragm that comes into use. I remember spitting blood in the basin and sweating gallons on stage because of grueling gigs, but no buckets of tears whatsoever. A total of 2 full-length studio albums, 1 single, 100’s of local and national gigs, 1 international gig (Dubai), featuring on a handful of compilation albums, giving countless (print, radio, web and TV) interviews and practicing tons didn’t take its toll on the band. In fact, even the outstation gigs’ travel conditions, the nasty places we were put up at, critical haters and judgmental two-faced peers didn’t dent my spirit. In the end, our “management” skills (or lack thereof) brought on my band’s demise. Don’t get me wrong. I was never in it for the money. We were realistic about completing college and holding down jobs so we were okay. Sadly, all it takes is one fuckin’ weak link for the whole goddamn chain to snap… Anyway, I always joke that I am the only member to have not missed any PDV show ever, and the rest know it’s true. They missed a couple through no fault of theirs because of work, health and family. But without a doubt, they gave 100% to the ones they were present for and that’s awesome.”

But it’s not over till it’s over, and there’s a good chance we’ll get some more music from the growler.

pradeep miranda“Nowadays, if I’m not traveling, working and spending time with the missus, you’ll catch me beering with my many buddies. I’ve had cats since I was 13 and still do at 30. I am a reader but not a voracious one, though I always liked spending time with books than people. My love for writing stems from the fact that I make time to read. My girlfriend of 7 years is now my wife. So a lot of travel on the cards and already Paris and Sri Lanka are done with a lot more to go. I catch treks / camp-outs whenever I can. I like to ride my motorcycle and love working on it myself. I’m currently in talks with an old friend about getting in a studio and making some music, but I’m enjoying the sabbatical and may procrastinate that thought more. Overall, I spent the best 7 years of my life with the band (winter 2007 heralded our last gig). What were the worst years of my life you ask? The same! Just kidding… I still catch myself smiling with pride when I read my lyrics from both the albums while they blast on my speakers. As the 1st track of the 2nd album says – no regrets!”

Pin Drop Violence's original lineup: (L-R) Vispy Homavazir, Niraj Trivedi, Pradeep Miranda, Mithun Poojari, Rohit Pereira

Pin Drop Violence’s original lineup: (L-R) Vispy Homavazir, Niraj Trivedi, Pradeep Miranda, Mithun Poojari, Rohit Pereira

FREE DOWNLOADS: Solar Deity’s Devil Worship | Solar Deity’s The Darkness Of Being | Solar Deity’s Snowless | Solar Deity’s In The Name Of Satan

Want to know more about the Indian metal scene?

The life and times of Naked Earth’s Irwie Vaz

‘Albatross was cursed’: Riju ‘Dr. Hex’ Dasgupta speaks

From Kinky Ski Munky to The Riot Peddlers: Ashwin Dutt’s long journey

On the horror trail with Albatross | Who are the members of Heathen Beast?

18 Responses to “Pradeep Miranda: ‘Pin Drop Violence ended because of our lack of management skills’”

1. 1 Mangesh G.
    June 10, 2013 at 08:59

Another good one.. One of my favourite bands from the scene..

2. 2 Crow-cab
    June 10, 2013 at 14:46

Do an article on Prashant Shah from that killer Death Metal band called ‘Exhumation’. The one worthy DM band from Mumbai/India. The world needs a new Exhumation album with old-school production and pounding live shows.

• June 10, 2013 at 18:49

I’m sure you mean this as a compliment but it’s the funniest thing I’ve heard this year. Old-school production? Turn away, my friend… look elsewhere, for I don’t want you to be disappointed.

3. 4 Sludge Factory
    June 11, 2013 at 03:50

Pradeep, we all know what the weak link was.

4. June 11, 2013 at 04:34

” I remember spitting blood in the basin and sweating gallons on stage”
    Did that lead to “Pulling Out Glass Over A Basin Of Blood”? Fuck, that was my favourite track from the album. So simple, so grotesque. So metal!

5. June 11, 2013 at 04:38

And, damn, i still remember that awesome snare tone on “Compose… Oppose… Dispose…”
    And, ‘Get Em Off’, and ‘Perfect Defect’. Randolph’s magic, yes?
    PDV gigs were awesome fun!

6. 8 Sunil
    June 11, 2013 at 09:19

Right to Riot still kicks ass! PDV refreshes old memories. Puffs of smoke, Heavy rains, hard hitting winds outside and PDV playing inside at the Razz…

7. 9 yash
    June 11, 2013 at 09:21

i got bulb wound on my forehead while headbanging to pdv’s set at Groove in twn. Pradeep’s chin hit my head and i banged my head against the speaker i was leaning on it headbanging and he jumped on that speaker or amp whatevr it was doing full 360…

while Mehta was on speed.

Epic!

8. 10 Afaque
    June 11, 2013 at 10:01

This is real good read. need to do more of this kind of old scene guys interviews.

9. 11 Anonymous
    June 11, 2013 at 11:54

i miss them 😦

10. 12 Anonymous
    June 12, 2013 at 03:11

its time to feed once more off me…

11. 13 Ajay
    December 27, 2013 at 15:41

Thanks for this interview

12. 14 Anonymous
    September 15, 2014 at 08:33

thanks for pioneering and engineering the Indian Metal Scene. NO REGRETS! \../

13. September 24, 2014 at 15:03

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all is needed to
    get setup? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?

I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100% positive.
    Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks